You have done some research, came across the ketogenic diet and decided that this is the lifestyle you want to follow.
Maybe you’ve already read my own story and you’re in a similar situation: You have also done a lot of work when it comes to nutrition but feel that it hasn’t provided you with the results you were hoping for. You’re wondering whether the ketogenic diet could be the missing part of the puzzle. You’re very motivated to make changes and you know that implementing a ketogenic diet will not be easy.
Or maybe you’re a complete “newbie” to the world of nutrition, have read about the science behind the ketogenic diet and want to make sure you get the hang of it without experimenting and making mistakes.
So where do you start?
Some oncologists have heard about the ketogenic diet, some are even very supportive of it because the science behind the diet is very compelling, but many of them still don’t know enough to be able to help you with implementation of the diet or support you.
Online there is an increasing amount of information on the ketogenic diet, but much of it is still geared towards epilepsy, weight loss or bodybuilding. This can be misleading and confusing for cancer patients. Questions I often get asked are:
- Can I still eat fruit on a ketogenic diet?
- Does the 80/20 rule apply, too, i.e. being “good” for 80% of the time and “indulge” for 20%?
- How can I possibly get so much fat into my diet?
- Can I still have dairy, and in what form?
- Do I need to measure blood glucose and ketones if I want to follow the diet?
- The ketogenic diet goes completely against government recommendations or the food pyramid. How can you explain this?
- Can I follow this diet while being on treatment?
- Do I need to take nutritional supplements?
Knowing where to start can be the biggest challenge in the implementation of a ketogenic diet. When I first started in 2012, there wasn’t as much information, meal planning tools and research available as there is now. I wish I had had somebody to guide me through the process step by step and answer my questions! However, because I had to start from scratch, design my own meal plans and recipes, made a number of mistakes and had to integrate this new lifestyle into family life with two small children, I’ve accumulated a great amount of knowledge and expertise in the area. I’m also in regular contact with oncologists and other researchers so that I don’t miss any new evidence in cancer nutrition and ketogenic diets and their application.
So I know exactly how you feel! Not too long ago I was right where you are. It’s my job to show you where to start with the implementation of the diet, but also to monitor progress, assess your blood work, deal with side effects the diet can bring in the initial stages and reassure you that you’re on the right track.
That’s why you’re here. You’ve decided to give the ketogenic diet a go, you have discussed this option with your oncologist and now need a helping and supporting partner.
And I’m here to tell you that you’ve come to just the right place for guidance in doing exactly that!
The ketogenic diet has given hope to many cancer patients.
My story shows how gaining reliable knowledge can promote hope, health and, ultimately, happiness. And that’s what I promise to give you here. My research will never stop. Not just because this is what I do for a living now, but also because I’m in the same boat as every other cancer patient. I’m on a quest to find what science and nature can provide us to make sure we’re here for a long time to watch our children grow up and spend time with our loved ones.
As a fully qualified and experienced nutritional therapist who specialises in cancer nutrition and the ketogenic diet in particular, I’ve supported hundreds of cancer patients on their journey. You can learn how to support yourself through treatments with a ketogenic diet and also in the recovery process.
Interested in my credentials and why I am so passionate about this? Click here.
What to expect
- Imagine using food as an additional tool in the management of your illness. A tool that is based on evidence that is so compelling that it justified setting up clinical trials for further and deeper investigation.
- Imagine having the knowledge of food and its effect on your metabolism (how your body generates energy).
- Imagine knowing that you are doing everything in your power to nourish yourself, get through treatments and protect yourself in the long term as best as you can.
- Imagine a way of eating and living where listening to your body is encouraged, not ignored. Adopting a ketogenic lifestyle often leads to major changes not only in eating habits, but also in lifestyle, stress management, exercise routines and others. It’s not just about eating, there’s a lot more to keto!
- Imagine finding ways to add other tools for a healthy lifestyle to your daily life- movement, mindfulness, sleep; anything that helps you manage your illness.
- It’s within your power to make changes that help you lead a healthier and active life.
Here’s how it works.
Implementing a ketogenic diet can be a huge change of lifestyle for some, if not most people. Macro- and micronutrients need to be carefully calculated and adjusted to your individual needs, nutritional supplements may be required and blood work needs to be monitored on a regular basis. Some people reach the state of nutritional ketosis with ease while others need a lot more time to adapt. The changes can be made gradually, however some people prefer to be “radical” and just get on with it (if this is medically possible).
With that in mind, I’ve created two individual consultation packages that will get you set up properly. Both packages give you access to my online course for beginners that you can work through before or during our consultations- we will see what best suits you. On top of learning the basics, my packages include the following:
90-minute initial consultation
This is when we go into details! I need to know more about you, not just your medical and family history and all the numbers, but also your food preferences, biggest health challenges currently and before your diagnosis and concerns you might have about making changes. We’ll cover:
- What do you need to know before starting the diet.
- Main mechanisms behind the diet.
- How to keep an eye on your blood sugars and ketones.
- How to deal with side effects in the first few days of starting the diet.
- How much protein/fat/carbohydrates to eat on a daily basis and recipes you can try.
- Emotional aspects of cancer treatments, especially stress management, and how to deal with this. This is a crucial part of the ketogenic lifestyle!
- Safe exercise routines and resources to learn more about this
- Weight management
- While we cover a lot in this visit, I’ll make sure you walk away with clear action steps to take before your first follow up. These are sent to you the next working day after your consultation.
Follow Up Consultations (30 minutes)
Depending on what consultation package you choose, you will have 1 or 3 follow-ups to make sure you are on track- and you stay there! We’ll get your questions answered, review your progress and keep you moving forward on your journey. Together we’ll work out new action steps to take before your next follow up appointment. At each visit, we’ll review your goals and monitor progress.
I help you adjust your diet and deal with obstacles. You will also get help understanding the results of lab tests, so you know what to expect at your medical check-ups.
Beyond that, you set the agenda for your visit. You might want to spend the time planning wholesome meals, discussing how to cook healthy family meals, modifying recipes to tailor them to your individual needs, simplifying your grocery shopping, detoxifying your environment, freeing yourself from emotions that are holding you back or talking about long-term goals.
Email support through weekly review of your food diary.
You’re encouraged to email your food diary each week, so I can support you with your goals. This is not about controlling everything you eat but my experience has taught me that staying accountable between visits is key to your success.
OPTION 1: 355 USD (1 follow-up consultation) or
OPTION 2: 525 USD (3 follow-up consultations)
In addition to the consultations, I have two special bonuses that are included in the package- whichever one you choose to go for:
Bonus 1: My online keto course for beginners- tried and tested by cancer patients like you! It’s a fabulous resource that will give you access for as long as you like to the most up-to-date information on the ketogenic diet for cancer and how to implement it correctly.
Bonus 2: As part of the beginners course, you will be able to download my eBooks “Practical Keto Meal Plans for Cancer Patients” that will give you some basic information but mainly lots of recipes and meal plans for a total of 4 weeks. During the consultation, I will help you adapt the recipes and meal plans according to your current needs and lifestyle.
Are you ready to invest in your health?
Partnerships – that’s what my work as a nutritional therapist is all about.
For a client to have optimal health and peace of mind in the long term, I believe we must work side by side, even if far apart geographically. Progress takes commitment from both parties.
It also takes determination and trust. Not just trust in me, my expertise, or even my experience of surviving cancer myself, but trust in yourself, however tentative at first. Sure, my ability to empathise with clients, to reassure them when in doubt, is a huge plus. But I also believe that with the right support, people can tap into their own capacity and drive to be well and happy, however dark things may seem at first or along the way.
I’d love to work with you if:
- Your health is your #1 priority. You know that there is evidence behind ketogenic diets as a metabolic therapy and you are motivated to give it a go.
- You’re looking for a programme that is tailored to your individual needs and circumstances but you’re also willing to learn the nuts and bolts in my online programme- which will make our consultations a lot more informative and efficient!
- You’re willing to pay attention to what you eat and how your body feels.
- You’re tired of feeling anxious about what to eat. You’re keen to regain some control over your health in a challenging situation.
- You’re looking for support making changes and sticking to them, someone to check in with and ensure you’re on track.
- You want to work with somebody who genuinely cares about you.
We’re not the right fit if:
- There are contraindications that keep you from starting the ketogenic diet.
- You expect me to provide you with an alternative “cure” to cancer and you refuse to do conventional cancer treatment. There are no phase 3 clinical trials into the ketogenic diet for cancer. Evidence is compelling, but preliminary at the moment.
- Your energy is extremely low and you don’t have any support (family, friends or other carers). Please contact me for other options we can explore together.
- You don’t see any reason why you should change anything in your life.
- You aren’t willing to cook (or at least learn to cook) any of your own meals and can’t imagine a life without processed foods.
- You are strictly vegan and unwilling to add in any animal foods, not even eggs (based on current scientific evidence, I cannot endorse a 100% vegan diet). There are other nutrition professionals who can give you guidance on this.
So Let’s Work Together
I’m here to support you on your journey. But before we begin, I want to make sure we’re a good fit. YOU will be leading the way on this journey and YOU will be putting in the hard work, with all my support of course.
That’s why I want to get some crucial information from you (via an intake form) before we have our first consultation. I need to make sure you’re committed to making changes in your lifestyle and diet. And I also have to double check whether there are any contraindications that make it impossible for you to implement a ketogenic and whether you need very close medical supervision.
So let’s talk before you sign up for anything!
How to get started:
- After making your payment, you will be taken to a scheduling tool where you can pick three dates that suit you for the initial consultation.
- I will then be in touch to send you an intake form and detailed information for our first session together. You will also get immediate access to my beginner’s course.
- We then have our first consultation together and schedule the next follow up.